The end of the school year is fast approaching. We all like to give our kids teachers a gift for educating and let’s face it, putting up with their tiny people mood swings all year. Before you go searching on Pinterest for ideas, let me stop and remind you about the great city where we live. I don’t know a person that lives here that doesn’t like NOLA items in their house, or garments to wear. We live in a very culturally rich area. Let’s take advantage of that when thinking about our teachers. Honestly, they don’t need or want another coffee mug, cute crayon wreath, or candy. There are so many shops that have NOLA things. I’m going to help you find the shop with the perfect New Orleans teacher gifts for your child’s teacher.
Quick Tip: If your room parent hasn’t already done so, you may want to send a short questionnaire to the teacher about their likes. It’s good to know if they drink coffee, wear scarves, dine out, wear jewelry, get mani/pedi’s, and so on.
New Orleans Teacher Gifts:
- MJ’s: 1513 Metairie Rd. Metairie. This store has everything, literally! Besides great prices this store has jewelry, kitchen items, artwork, yard flags, coffee mugs, drinking cups, scarves, shirts, picture frames and more! Be aware that when you go searching in this store for a teacher gift you will likely come out with something for yourself too.
- Boujo: This store is great for finding those rare kinds of items that, you guessed it, make you reminisce about special moments. There are two locations, 701 Metairie Rd. Metairie and 817 W. Esplanade Kenner,
- Fleurty Girl: This story mostly has t-shirts featuring New Orleans sayings, but she has so much more than that, so much more. Lauren features her t-shirts, as well as soaps, artwork, kitchen items, and more. There are a variety of locations to visit. In Jefferson Parish you can visit her store at 3313 Severn Ave. Metairie.
- Monogram Express: If your child’s teacher loves monograms, this is the perfect store for you . Not only will they monogram items they sell, they will monogram items you bring to them. They can put letters, words, and pictures on items. The store has a variety of items available to you to purchase and add a monogram. 2109 Veterans Memorial Blvd Metairie.
- Snoballs: Who doesn’t like snoballs?! Choose your favorite snoball spot and get a gift certificate for the teacher. Let them know how sweet you think they are! Here are a few favorites in Jefferson Parish: Plum St. in Lafreniere Park, Casey’s in Metairie on W. Esplanade, and Sal’s in Metairie on Metairie Rd.
- Mani/Pedi: Did someone say manicure and pedicure? Yes, I think I will have one! Choose your favorite shop and get the teacher a gift card for services. Show your teacher that a little pampering is just what they need. Yes, men teachers can be given a pedicure. You wouldn’t believe how many men get them these days. My favorite places are Bliss in Kenner on W. Esplanade, and Essential in Elmwood on Mounds.
- Spa Day: While we are on the topic about pampering, let’s discuss facials and massages. These services are usually ones that we don’t splurge on for ourselves. It would be a very nice gift for the teacher at the end of a very busy year. My favorite place to go is Earthsavers. There are a few locations, but in Jefferson Parish you can visit them at 3301 Veterans Blvd. Metairie.
- Food: Who doesn’t like to eat out? Choose one or two local spots to eat and get a gift card for the teacher. After all, they spend lots of time planning a grading and meals are sometimes pushed back. Skip the chain restaurants and go for the unique to our city type. Here are a few suggestions: Copelands, Mr. Ed’s, Koz’s, Chateau Café, New Orleans Hamburger and Seafood, Bobby Hebert’s Cajun Cannon, Parran’s Po Boy’s, Phil’s Grill, and Drago’s to mention a few.
- Sweet Treats: Who doesn’t have a sweet tooth? Visit one of your favorite bakeries and pick up a sweet treat or gift card for the teacher to go pick their own sweet treat. Some great bakeries, donut shops, and beignets are listed below. Let’s start with one of my absolute favorites, Haydel’s. They are located at 4037 Jefferson Hwy and have just about anything sweet you may want. Some other bakeries are Gambino’s, Maurice French Pastries, Antoine’s Bakery, Angelo’s, and Marguerite’s Cakes. Some local donut shops that I like to visit are: Tastee Donuts, Cop A Donut, and Bakers Dozen. If beignets are what you are looking for visit Café du Monde, Morning Call, and New Orleans Coffee and Beignet Company.
- NOLA Made: Celeste and her partner have a great cart in Lakeside Mall that features all things NOLA. From jewelry, to books to local artist. You’ll find everything you need for a NOLA loving Teacher.
- Homemade: If you are of the craftier type and want to try to make something for your teacher that has New Orleans flair then go ahead and give it a go. Teachers really appreciate the time and effort spent putting together class memories. Make a scrapbook with pictures and things from field trips and special events, or maybe even paint something on a canvas with the kids help. I made a New Orleans cityscape using the kid’s fingerprints for my daughter’s gala at school. It was a big hit!
- Coffee: PJ’s, Puccinos, French Press! New Orleans has tons of options for the coffee loving teacher. Grab her a mug and a gift card for the start of a relaxing summer vacation.
- Supplies: Jefferson Parish has two great locally owned options for teaching supplies. Everyone’s favorite the Educator located in Greta and Metairie. And a little know strore, Learning Tools located at 3235 Lisa Dr, Metairie, LA. Gift Certificates to either store would make a great gift!
- Heather Elizabeth Designs: Did you see her beautiful jewelry at our Easter Egg Hunt this year? It’s so pretty. If the teacher in your life doesn’t like jewelry, HED has nightlights, wine corks (don’t forget the bottle of wine), and more!
Looking for more great teacher gift ideas? Check out our post of our top 10 favorite gift ideas for the end of the school year.