I don’t know about you but I am ready for fall and to me nothing screams fall more than caramel apples. Ok maybe 70 degree temps but we are still weeks away from those! I made these because with all of our allergies, finding safe ones are almost impossible. Last year was the first time either of my kids had my favorite fall treat due to their allergies too! This will now be a yearly tradition in our house!
- 5 apples per bag of caramel candy
- Kraft caramel candy
- 2 bags of Hershey milk chocolate chips
- 2 table spoons of Crisco vegetable shortening
- Halloween sprinkles
- jumbo craft sticks
- parchment paper
Wash your apples and stick the craft sticks into the top of the apple. Then unwrap the caramel candy and melt and prepare caramel apples to package directions. Then put in the fridge for at least an hour, I put ours in overnight.
When you apples are ready, melt your chocolate. You can do this by putting the chocolate chips and vegetable shortening in a double boiler. I use my (affiliate link) Wilton melting pot. While that’s melting, between stirring, prepare another sheet of parchment paper with butter like you did for your caramel apples (this helps prevent the apples from sticking).
When your chocolate is melted insert apples into chocolate. I found it easier to spoon the chocolate over the apple than I did to dip the apple. But you use whatever method works best for you.
Before the apples completely dry it’s time for the kids to have some fun. I let them sprinkle the sprinkles all over the apples and decorate them as they wanted. As you can see they had blast and got a little creative mixing and matching sprinkles!
When the kids are done decorating the apples, put them back in the fridge so the chocolate has a chance to set! Then eat and enjoy!
Latest posts by Cara (see all)
- Tropical Storm Cindy Closures - June 20, 2017
- Camping In Southeast Louisiana - June 16, 2017
- Ten Things To Do With Dad On Father’s Day In Jefferson Parish - June 14, 2017
- Too HOT To Play: Guide To Indoor Fun In New Orleans - June 8, 2017
- 2017 Jefferson Parish Parent Photographer’s Guide - June 7, 2017